Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014.

I love the fresh start a new year brings, but to be honest,  I have never been one to set New Year's Goals. Not because I don't think they're important but usually just because I get overwhelmed and think I'll come back to it.  I look at other people's goals and plans with admiration but getting my mind wrapped around a whole year's worth of goals kind of, okay scratch that- really overwhelms me.

This past year, I feel like my life has changed a lot. I've grown in my relationship with the Lord, with my husband, and together we've made our family a priority. All of which is what I continue to want my focus to be on.  I know where I want to be, I know where my heart is-  at home with my family, but I also know I want to help and serve others through continuing Dear Owen: Everyday Speech and Language. With a new baby on the way, my sweet Owen and just every day life I know this will continue to be a slow process but I am determined to not give up.

Yesterday Owen took a long nap and the hubs went to the grocery store for me so I was lucky enough to get a nice long quiet time. During this time I was able to set a few goals, choose a "word", and add a few other things to our "2014 Plan."

I have to share this back story though before I share my word/focus for the year. I wrote down a list of words that came to my mind while thinking about the upcoming year, myself, and what I want to accomplish.

Here was the list:
Faithful
Obedient
Joyful
Love well
Content
Present
Focused


But after I did this, I was stuck. If you don't know this about me yet, I'll share with you now.. I am a bit indecisive. I've gotten a lot better with this through the last years, especially after becoming a Mom but it's still something I struggle with. So I was happy to get my husbands input. What he said after I shared my list of words with him (and what my point of the word is,  which took a few minutes for him to "get") both made me happy and also gave me a little kick in the pants. He said, "Emily why would you choose words you already are?".  Why not focus on your shortcomings?" My response-Ahh! How nice, that means a lot, but wait, my shortcomings, to be honest I was kind-of nervous to hear what he thought my "shortcomings" were. We just used the list above to brainstorm because I am sure there are many more but he, and I, felt like being content and present were things I struggle with the most. Oh, and decisiveness. Hello, kick in the pants. We talked a bit more about these things.  We both agreed that "contentment" is something I have improved on a lot in the last 6 months. But yes, I will admit, I still struggle with being fully content. Being present- I know what he had in mind when he mentioned this-constantly having my phone with me, checking into IG, email whatever it might be way too often, and I do agree this has become a silly habit that needs attention. But I'm also planning on focusing on being present in the present. Does that even make sense? I don't know, but to me it means, not constantly planning for the future, thinking about what I should/could accomplish, and just learning to relax and take in the little things day by day. I want to learn to be still and truly quiet clearing all the mindless chatter.


- Job 37:14



So here we go, my word for 2014: Present-Contentment ( yes, I know it's not really a word but It's going to be this year. :) at least for me. 



A few other things-

Family Motto-"Love Does."
(have you read Love Does by Bob Goff? It's good.)

As family we hope to go on more adventures, appreciate our time together more, and find more ways to share love with each other and with others.

My 2014 Verse: "Our faith must go beyond what we believe, it must become a part of all we do, resulting in good fruit and spiritual maturity. -2 Peter 1:9

My Prayer is to be Gracious and humble, gentle and quiet being someone whose actions alone tell about Jesus.

I'm working my way through Lara Casey's Goal Setting series which is so good but it's also taking me a long time to get through, which I appreciate because I think it will be great steps that will help me truly make specific goals happen this year. I hope to share some of them throughout the year and maybe even my progress on these goals as well. BUT I'm giving myself some Grace here because I know life with a newborn and toddler and remembering to be fully present might cause me to be doing more goal planning in quick junks rather than in long blog posts, however I am going to try.


I need Jesus by Lara Casey


One of the first goals I am going to scratch off the list, hopefully today is starting an IG account for Dear Owen: Everyday Speech & Language. That way friends can choose whether or not they may be interested in  Speech/Language Development Tips/Tricks, Activities Owen and I are doing to encourage his language development, or products from the shop etc.  (And I am aware that I just talked about spending less time on social media but I am honestly intending for this not to mean more time "plugged in" but instead, more effective time)

I can't wait to share 2014 with all of you.


 designer bags and dirty diapers


What are some of your goals/plans/dreams for 2014? How do come up with specific goals?







1 comment:

Alison Agnew said...

i think Contentment
is something most of us
need to work on

experience the joy and gratitude
of the what the Lord has done in our lives

such a good reminder!

also wanted to let you know that
i've restarted Fridays Unfolded
and would love for you to stop by!

Alison
Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS