Thursday, May 31, 2012

Owen's Nursery

We were so lucky to have my talented friend Monica come and take pictures of Owen's nursery for us. She did such a great job! Thank you Monica!!!  The nursery was so much fun to do. I gathered lots of inspiration and ideas from some of my favorite blogs like,  Holly Mathis InteriorsJones Design Company, and Honey and Fitz. I really wanted this room to be a mix of modern and vintage pieces with a touch of rustic elements.

We tried to incorporate family items into the room to make it extra special. We used my Dad's old baseball jersey, Clark's map, which was given to him by his Grandmother, fish fly's in remembrance of his Grandfather who loved to fish, family pictures, and antiques that have been given to us or we found at flea markets. 

My amazing Mom (aka Mimi) made the curtains for the room, Owen's bedding, the chevron pillows,  and the bed skirt on the twin bed. Lucky, right?!  Thank you Mom, you are the best! The chevron pillow with the monogram, was given to us by my Mother in law and was found on Etsy.

My biggest thank you has to be to my amazing husband who did so much work on O's room. He ripped up carpet, refinished the hardwood floors, built a closet, painted the walls and trim, installed the light, built the shelves, and of course put together all the furniture. He is a talented and hardworking man...love you so much honey!










Now that we have been using the room for 2 months- I have to say, I am really glad we used the twin bed in the room. I was unsure for a while on whether we would actually use it or not but not only does it give us an extra place for guests to sleep- it is also great for bouncing a fussy baby, or for the hubby or I to hang out on while the other is rocking Owen. Using an Ikea chair converted into a rocker/glider saved a lot of money and it works great, it's comfortable enough... overall I'm happy with it. Owen's favorite place to be in his room is his changing table. Glad we decided to put it in front of  the window because he loves to look out the window and get some sunshine...seriously, if he is fussy this is our "go-to" place to cheer him up. 
We've spent numerous hours in this room and we just love it!

Thanks for checking it out!!!


Sources: 
Chair-Ikea  Ektorp JennyLund, converted into a rocker/glider tutorial from Honey and Fitz
Pouf-Etsy
Crib-JCPenny
Bedding-made by my Mom, sheet -Serena and Lily
Curtains-Ikea with chevron fabric for trim, made by Mom
Rug-Rugs USA
Side table-Urban Outfitters 
Lamp-Target
Twin bed duvet cover-Ikea
Pillows-Ikea, Homegoods, and Chevron made by my Mom
Light-Barn Light Electric 
Shelves-made by hubby inspired by Restoration Hardware shelves
Changing Table-Jenny Lind (found at a garage sale, then spray painted)
Baskets-Ikea 
Artwork above crib-Embroidered Verse, tutorial by Jones Design Company
Wooden Owen Bunting-Etsy


Linking up with:
The shabby creek cottage

31 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, how gorgeous! i love the little niche where the crib is. fabulous space.

Emily said...

Thank you so much! I couldn't believe how perfect the crib fit into the little niche, definitely not what I had planned but heck it never is, right?! :)

lori said...

i absolutely adore the nursery!! great use of space and soooo cute! i think having a twin bed in the nursery is a great idea.

Amanda Dale said...

Yay, a fellow Texas blogger! Hope you are enjoying Houston. The map is AMAZING and adds such lovely color to the room. Thanks so much for sharing at Cowgirl Up! Hope you will join us again next week!
Thanks,
Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog
www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com

At The Picket Fence said...

So beautiful Emily! It's perfectly vintage and sweet at the same time. Love the map and the framed scripture is precious. For some reason your graphic didn't show up at our linky party. Please feel free to come back this afternoon and link it up again! The party goes up at 4:00 EST today. I hate people to miss it! Also, we'd like to share this evening on our Facebook page if that's okay. :) Thank you for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday.

Heather

Liz - Imageremix said...

I found you at stuff and nonsense. I was so enjoying your nursery photos and saw the one with the slices of tree trunks and had to smile. I have a pile of them I was going to use on my fireplace surround but decided against it. I love what you did with yours. Then I saw Psalm 139. So sweet. Did you do that or was it a gift? It looks like someone may have penned it and then it was stitched over. Is it stitched? I can't quite tell. It's all so sweet. Stop in and see me at Quirky Vistas sometime.
Liz

Kat said...

Beautiful job and beautiful pictures! I love the non-babyish vibe of this room and all the vintage touches. Found you through At the Picket Fence.

Stuff and Nonsense said...

what a thoroughly charming space
for your little one

and whilst i love
all the vintage bits and pieces together
my favorite is the snippet of Psalm 39
hanging above his crib

thank you so much
for sharing your creativity
at Fridays Unfolded!

alison

Ellie said...

What a sweet room! I love how it looks and that you put so much time into every detail. I'm your newest follower. :)

~Ellie @ beauty4ashes-ellie.blogspot.com

Becca said...

I just love your space!! It is so interesting- not matchy matchy and very cool!! Love the color scheme!
I pinned it- thanks for sharing!

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

Beautiful nursery...featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

what a gorgeous nursery! makes me almost want a third baby... almost. ;)

Fiona said...

Lovely! Where did you get the pendant light?

eatrunteach said...

LOVE Owen's nursery! Especially the drapes, the blue and white ticking duvet, the OK print and the large map on the wall. And his monogram is OKC? Too fun! Glad to find your blog and another fellow Oklahoman! :)

eatrunteach said...

LOVE Owen's nursery! Especially the drapes, the blue and white ticking duvet, the OK print and the large map on the wall. And his monogram is OKC? Too fun! Glad to find your blog and another fellow Oklahoman! :)

eatrunteach said...

LOVE Owen's nursery! Especially the drapes, the blue and white ticking duvet, the OK print and the large map on the wall. And his monogram is OKC? Too fun! Glad to find your blog and another fellow Oklahoman! :)

Carolyn said...

Really cute! I can't wait to get mine done! I love your curtains. Have you ever seen Erika's from urbangrace? http://blog.urbangrace.com/2010/the-nursery-diaries-chapter-8/

amanda persinger said...

Beautiful! Where did you get your map? I didn't see it listed and have been looking for a map like that forever!! ; ) Thanks!

Rebekah said...

EVERYTHING! I just love. I am spying that rug on RUGS USA for my nursery. It looks super. Is it a true grey? or more of a blue-grey would love to know before i order. Again, fantastic job and congratulations!

Jillian said...

Emily, I'm so happy you found my blog through Kelly's Korner. I have to tell you, when you commented, I didn't know that you were the writer of Dear Owen - I've been reading along since finding your nursery last week! Owen's nursery is just perfect, I love it all. Such a wonderful space, full of love, for your little boy. Can't wait to keep reading!

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

Love this nursery! The mix of vintage and modern is perfect and I love the colors. I hope you don't mind if I include a pic of your nursery (with link) in a post about my nursery inspirations tomorrow.

Jennifer said...

What is the paint color? So calm and nice.

Jennifer@ Blissfully Ever After said...

I absolutely LOVE this space! You did a fantastic job! I especially like the personal. Sentimental touches you add to the space to bring in character and interest. Great job and congrats on your little blessing :)

Laura said...

We are going with the same type of vintage theme and were wanting to put up a vintage map of the world. I love yours, where did you get it from? I love your nursery!

Emily said...

Thanks Laura!!The map is definitely one of my favorite things in his nursery. It was actually given to my husband by his Grandmother who has passed away, but we think it is an old school house map. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angela @LivingstonsHouseFullOfBoys said...

New follower! I love Owens nursery! And the niche for his crib will make a great little reading corner when he's bigger! I wish I had a cute niche like that for my boys. Xoxo hope you'll follow back...I've got my hands (and heart) full with 5 boys!

Tonya said...

New follower here. I found your blog via Mrs. In training's blog. Love the nursery. I'm due in May with a little boy and I live in the Katy,TX area.

Please feel free to follow me too
happyapplegoodness.blogspot.com

Laura {happily ever} Parker said...

New follower from The Good Life and your curtains are SO cute! How lucky you are to have a crafting mama!

Emily A. Clark said...

I really love this room and all of the special touches. Great job!! Thanks for linking up.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

just found you thru Emily Clark's kid room roundup. I just love those curtains you did - when people do the stripe on the bias, I allllllways think its genius! BRAVO!! :)

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

I have your curtains pinned but never knew the original source. I love the trim!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS